Baby-led weaning (BLW) means forgetting purees and weaning spoons, and simply letting your baby feed himself (NCT 2013).
BabyLed Spreads are a great accompaniment to your baby's diet and introduce a wide variety of nutrients through the early weaning stages. They provide an abundance of new tastes/ textures that can help movement onto solid food with a minimum of fuss.
Many parents follow BLW without even thinking about it. This is particularly the case with second or later children. Babies love to copy their older siblings. They often try to grab food from other children's plates, happy to feed themselves just like their big brother or sister does.
Benefits of BabyLed Spreads:
- They give babies the chance to explore foods for themselves. It means they can cope with different food tastes and textures from the beginning of weaning (Cameron et al 2012b).
- Improves hand-eye coordination and chewing ability when babies feed themselves.
- More likely to join in with family mealtimes.
- Exposes baby to a wider range of family foods early on.
- Encourages babies to choose healthier foods, which could protect against obesity in childhood (Townsend and Pitchford 2011).
- Saves preparation time as less time is spent preparing lunches and other quick meals.
A survey from the European Toddler Nutrition Index suggested 26% of children under five in the UK refuse meals at least once a day compared with 15% in France and Germany, suggesting a higher proportion of UK children may have an inherent issue with food fussiness. The use of BabyLed Weaning Spreads at an early stage can help to encourage healthier food choices later on!!
A study by psychologists at The University of Nottingham has shown that babies who are weaned using solid finger food are more likely to develop healthier food preferences and are less likely to become overweight as children than those who are spoon-fed pureed food. BabyLed Weaning Spreads are a tasty complement to all types of finger food!!
Our spreads are a tasty complement to all kinds of finger food and they make sure your little one gets a wide range of nutrients through the baby-led weaning process.